sneak peak of saturday’s menu

by Amy on 3 December 2010

my parents are visiting from boston this weekend, + of course, i couldn’t let the weekend pass without having a little dinner party. while this menu is not 100% final, it’s pretty close to what it will be.

first course: chicken + tomato posole – this was on the blog in october, + try as she may, my mother has not been able to locate hominy (nor have some of my west coast friends). i think my parents will adore this soup, so i thought i’d start the meal off with a little serving of it.

second course: the pork tenderloin + polenta are recipes from bobby flay’s mesa grill cookbook. i have dined at mesa grill + loved it, + have adored all of the recipes i’ve made from this cookbook before. plus, how can you go wrong with a bourbon-ancho sauce? the blackened green beans are from guy fieri who always has cool, edgy dishes.

third course: some sort of dessert. i’m torn about what to make! if you have suggestions, please share! i was initially going to make a specialty cocktail instead of a dessert, but my wise foodie friends convinced me to make a dessert + serve wine to drink instead.

so what do you think? i still have some time to adjust the menu, so please tell me your critiques, thoughts, or recommended changes. also, i’d love any dessert recipes that you think would complement the menu!

1 Tracey December 3, 2010 at 8:27 am

First, let me say LOVE the blog,I really enjoy what you are putting on here,you are doing really wonderful things.As for the dessert dilema you could always do a spiked mexican hot chocolate for dessert,which would encompass cocktail and dessert in one,possibly served with churros.A tres’ leche cake would also pair lovely with this.

2 amy December 3, 2010 at 8:55 am

thanks for your sweet words! the spiked mexican hot cocoa is a great idea, especially because it’s going to be so cold in nashville this weekend. i love the idea of a tres leches cake, but i’ve never made one before – i do love them, though! i worry about trying it for the first time on a night when we have guests, you know?

3 Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) December 3, 2010 at 9:32 am

How cool will it be in Nashville this weekend? It seems like the margarita ice cream would be a nice ending…or maybe a flan?

4 amy December 3, 2010 at 9:40 am

it’s going to be cool – highs in the 40s, lows down in the 10s (!!!). unseasonably cold for nashville, unfortunately. i proposed the idea of flan to my honey, + said, + i quote, ‘i don’t know what that is, but i don’t like the sound of it.’ HA! the margarita ice cream is so delicious, but i think it’ll be too chilly. any other thoughts? thanks, wendy!

5 Beth December 3, 2010 at 9:58 am

I saw your request for feedback in my google reader this morning, and what immediately came to mind was something chocolate with chili/cayenne. You could take Tracey’s suggestion and do a spiked hot chocoalate (1921 Tequila Cream is fabulous in hot chocolate). The local company Bang Candy sells gourmet marshmallows, and one of the flavors is chocolate chili. They’re sold at Fido and a few other places around town. Find them on FB for more info.

I have a recipe for some spicy chocolate bark on my blog, but I’m not sure it’s substantial enough to serve on it’s own. Although, if you’re stuffed from dinner, then just a couple of small pieces of this with some coffee might be perfect! http://www.eat-drink-smile.com/2009/12/sweet-holiday-treats.html

Then there’s this Mexican Chocolate Cake that I’ve had bookmarked for a while and been meaning to try myself: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/healthy-delicious-mexican-chocolate-cake-recipe-from-real-simple-magazine.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+seriouseatsfeaturesvideos+%28Serious+Eats%29

6 amy December 3, 2010 at 10:15 am

the spiked mexican hot chocolate might be my favorite option so far, especially because it’s so easy! do you think tequila is the way to go with the mexican chocolate flavors? i’ve actually never made spiked hot cocoa, so your input is much appreciated. =)

that mexican chocolate cake looks great + it reminds me of a dessert i’ve made before – mexican chocolate souffles. they are absolutely fantastic (though really decadent), + i would make them again, except that i’ve already made them for my parents. you might like to try ’em, though – http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mexican-Chocolate-Souffles-233718

thanks for all of the tips + suggestions!

7 Heidi Alberti and Atticus Uncensored December 3, 2010 at 10:21 am

What a feast, Amy! I’m curious about the blackened green beans… sounds yummy!

As you said, the obvious desert would be flan… maybe you can come up with a new, creative name for it that won’t offend your hubby! (Caracas Creme Brulee, perhaps??). Love the idea of Mexican hot chocolate, served with cookies. Or how about a chocolate bread pudding? If you can get your hands on the chili-laced chocolate, that might be interesting… just a thought.

8 amy December 3, 2010 at 11:00 am

thanks heidi + atti! i think i’m leaning towards the spiked mexican hot cocoa at this point – it sounds easy + delicious! although i love your idea of re-naming the flan, HA! my father actually loves flan, so he would be thrilled with that option.

9 Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) December 3, 2010 at 11:03 am

Yeah…that’s COLD…too cold for ice cream, even the boozed-up variety ;)! You could make some chocolate truffles and put a bit of chili powder in them to spice ’em up…dark chocolate and then the little bit of heat in the back of the throat.

10 Tracey December 3, 2010 at 11:20 am

the spiked mexican hot chocolate is very simple,I got my recipe from;Frida’sFiestas Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo,the recipe calls for 2 quarts of milk,1/2 pound of mexican chocolate cut in chunks(or semi sweet chocolate flavored with cinnamon)&sugar.I,much like you, love some heat so I add a dash of chili powder sprinkled over homemade cinnamon whipped cream at the end.Just heat the milk with the chocolate until dissolved add sugar to taste,beat vigorously with a whisk until foamy and add the best suited liquor to your taste buds,dollop that homemade whipped creme on top sprinkle with chili powder and extra cinnamon.super yummalicious.

11 Beth December 3, 2010 at 11:22 am

To answer you about the tequila with the chocolate for hot chocolate….never fear! Erase your mind of any tequila flavor you’ve ever experienced. 1921 Tequila Cream is a completely different thing. I use it in an espresso drink I came up with last year: http://www.eat-drink-smile.com/2010/01/the-situation-2010-cocktail.html

In fact, I was first turned on to it by a friend who is in the beverage industry when she advised me to ask for it in my hot cocoa at Cha Chah (who has some of the best hot cocoa in town btw). It’s their sweet secret đŸ˜‰

It is delicious, and I promise, doesn’t taste like tequila!!

12 tracey December 3, 2010 at 11:24 am

by the way, I am the lovely Miss. Olivia’s aunt, and sister to the equally as lovely Trisha.I was so happy to hear about you and your blog,it is fabulous,and full of great information.I would love to get together with you the next time we visit Nashville and cook an extraordinary dinner for our families to share.Have a great dinner and an awesome dinner party.

13 amy December 3, 2010 at 12:14 pm

AH! that is fantastic!! you know they are some of my favorite people. i’m going to send you an email in a few minutes – look for it from amy@fearlesshomemaker.com =)

14 Heather December 3, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I hope you have a great weekend with your parents. Sounds like quite the feast! I love the Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate idea. I was going to suggest churros, but think I like the chocolate idea better! Have fun.

15 amy December 3, 2010 at 3:37 pm

thanks, heather! churros also sound great – i wonder how hard they’d be to make at home? i’ve never tried to make them (but love to eat them). although, as we know, you can never go wrong with booze either. =)

16 Vivek Surti December 6, 2010 at 11:20 am

I know I’m a little late :) but I LOVE that bourbon ancho sauce. I had that dish in NYC when I went a few years ago and have made it at home as well. Stunning dish.

17 amy December 6, 2010 at 11:51 am

it turned out amazingly well – the flavors are just perfection! i have never been disappointed with any of the bobby flay dishes that i’ve made + this one was just as fabulous as the rest!

{ 1 trackback }