no-bake peanut butter energy bites

by Amy on 19 July 2012

every day, around 3 PM, i get hungry. i rummage through the cupboards + fridge, + more often than not, i opt for something like potato chips or m&ms. i ain’t proud, but it’s the truth. much of the time, i actually prefer healthier snacks over junk food-type snacks, but unless something healthy is already prepped + ready to be eaten, my laziness gets the best of me + i opt for the easier route.

the other day, like clockwork, my mid-afternoon hungries crept up, but i wanted something healthy. i turned to pinterest, saw these energy bites + decided to give ’em a try. they looked mighty tasty + were no-bake, which sounded perfect for the hot, humid weather. and? they are fantastic! so easy + amazingly delicious, like a peanut butter oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips, made into a bite-size ball. you can make a big batch each week + guarantee that you’ll have a scrumptious AND healthy snack on hand. i’ve surprised myself by continually reaching for these (instead of potato chips!) every time i’ve needed a snack over the past few days. hooray for healthy snacks that taste great!

no-bake peanut butter energy bites

makes about 20-25 bites, adapted from smashed peas + carrots

ingredients

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes (i used sweetened, but you can use unsweetened if you prefer)
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

directions

mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well-blended. let chill in the refrigerator for at least half an hour (it makes them easier to form into balls).

once chilled, roll into heaping tablespoon-sized balls + enjoy! stored in an airtight container, these will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

1 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray July 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

You’re reading my mind!! I’ve been dying for a cookie-like energy bite that’s no bake, and these little guys are exactly it. :)

2 cassie July 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

YUM! I made something similar a while back and I adored them, so much so that my self control went out the window. These look great!

3 Mollie July 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm

These look great! I can’t wait to make some!

4 amy July 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm

i can drop you off some if you want to sample ’em before you make ’em! i’ll text you. =) ahh, the benefits of being neighbors!

5 Kelly July 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Looks great, wondering what a serving is- 1 or 2? They look so yummy, I’d probably eat about 5. LOL

6 amy July 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm

i made mine a bit smaller than the original blog did (+ thus got close to 30 bites, rather than just 20), so at this size, i’d say the serving size was 2. if you make them a bit bigger, like she did, 1 is probably enough. also from the original site, here’s the nutritional info for 1 bite (of the larger size): 110 calories, 13 carbs, 6 grams of fat, + 2 grams of protein. hope that helps! =)

7 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I get hungry ALL THE TIME so these would be absolutely perfect for my diet :)

8 Kathryn July 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Ooh I know that 3pm feeling all too well! these would be an absolute perfect snack to have on hand, I’m going to whip up a batch this weekend!

9 Lauren July 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm

You totally had me up until the coconut part. :( These do look good though.

10 amy July 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm

My mom hates coconut, too, Lauren, so I totally understand! crushed cereal (rice krispies would be fab!), whole wheat flour, granola, cocoa powder or even just adding more oatmeal would all be great substitutions for the coconut!

11 Steph@TheChickpeaChickadee July 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I’ve been looking for a healthy snack and these are perfect! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

12 Jed Gray (sportsglutton) July 19, 2012 at 2:21 pm

These seem perfect right now Amy, because I’m hungry, need energy, and basically have all the ingredients. YES!!!

13 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Love this idea! So easy and fun!

14 ErinsFoodFiles July 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm

My friend brought me something like this after Elliott was born. Except it was just all in one container, not portion controlled! That is both good AND bad!

15 Lesley Eats July 19, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Er, does Nutella count as an acceptable substitute nut butter? :) Though I guess I could do almond…

mmmm…Nutella…

16 amy July 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm

honestly, i debated substituting biscoff spread for the peanut butter. nutella would be sooo flippin’ good! mmmmmmmm.

17 Choc Chip Uru July 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

What a delicioius creation, these would certainly get me up and going ๐Ÿ˜€

Cheers
CCU

P.S My subscriptions do not seem to be coming in by email – do you know anything of it?

18 amy July 19, 2012 at 5:05 pm

thank you! i’ve been posting at funny times (as opposed to my usual 6 AM posting time), so it’s thrown all the email notifications off. you should still get one for this, but it probably won’t arrive for another hour or so! =)

19 Sammie July 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm

WOW! MUST. MAKE. THIS!! Yes I agree with you. It’s so much better to have these than chips! haha.. I’m so bad with self-control when I start having chips. I can never stop at one! lol. These look GREAAT!

20 Renee July 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I also get those mid-afternoon hungries. These look like a great snack. What’s not to love with the oats, coconut, peanut butter, & chocolate chips. Quadruple yum.

21 wendy (the weekend gourmet) July 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Amy, these look FABULOUS! My niece and nephews are coming for a visit on Sun/Mon, so maybe we’ll make these for our snacks…healthy and yummy is a great combo for kids!!

22 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet July 19, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Oooh, my kind of snack! I saw these too on Pinterest but never got around to making them. Now I know I have to! Thanks, Amy!

23 Julie @ Table for Two July 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm

what an awesome snack to have! easy, portable, and so delicious cause of the PB!! i love it, Amy!

24 Erin @ Texanerin Baking July 20, 2012 at 8:09 am

Oh wow. I wish I had some of these right now! I am both starving and lacking energy. And these look way better than the average energy bites. They kind of look like something I’d inhale. Yum. :)

25 danielle July 20, 2012 at 9:04 am

We make something similar to this. Its a great snack!

26 natalie@thesweetslife July 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

i’ve seen these on pinterest and been meaning to make them! glad to hear they get good reviews!

27 Sandra's Easy Cooking July 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

This looks and sounds so tasty! i love no bake recipes, especially sweet treats. Well done, great recipe!

28 Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef July 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm

i’ve totally seen these on pinterest but haven’t made them. they look great though so now i must!

29 Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl July 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Amy, these look GREAT! Since my kiddo is starting kindergarten next month, I’m looking for fun, healthy treats to pack in his little lunchbox. These are definitely on the list–thanks!!

30 Amy (Savory Moments) July 21, 2012 at 6:55 am

These look great – they are very similar ingredients to my granola bars I make most weeks. I love them, so I know I’d love these little bites!

31 Rikki July 22, 2012 at 9:11 pm

My laziness gets the better of me too sometimes, especially after a full day of cooking, styling & shooting food. I love how simple these are as well as healthy & yummy! It’s a win all around!

32 Jocelyn @BruCrew Life July 22, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Amy, these look awesome!!! I love finding quick easy no bake recipes to have on hand for the kids!!! Bonus that they are healthy and give you good energy:-) Maybe if I keep these in my fridge I won’t be tempted to eat spoonfuls of biscoff or nutella for my energy hit:-)

33 Jennie @themessybakerblog July 23, 2012 at 7:32 am

I am the exact same way, but I am slowly trying to change my bad snacking habits. These look amazing and are just what I need instead of my usual cookie. I’ ve got it printed and they’re going on the list of goodies to make. Thanks for sharing.

34 Blond Duck July 23, 2012 at 7:53 pm

And I’ve got everything–huzzah! Art group time! Plus, these are so much cheaper than those Clif bars Ben likes…$12 a box! Ridiculous…

35 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 23, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Yummy blog!! A new follower :)

Love a simple energy bites and best part, it’s packed with peanut butter too ๐Ÿ˜‰

36 ea-The Spicy RD July 25, 2012 at 9:37 am

Yum! Pinning these too to make soon. Um, today??!

37 Stephen July 26, 2012 at 10:06 pm

If you make 20 these are 5 weightwatchers points+, but only 3 if you make them smaller so you get 30 balls.

38 amy July 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm

that’s great to know stephen – thank you! since i made mine smaller (to get close to 30), it’s good to know they only have 3 points each!

39 baker street July 30, 2012 at 5:01 am

Oh these look so good and I’m sure they make for the perfect healthy snack. love the pb, coconut and chocolate combination.

40 Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} August 8, 2012 at 7:48 am

These were awesome – I made them last night. Seriously, to die for! Though, I did eat a few too many! :)

41 Araxie September 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’m trying these babies tonight! Thanks, Amy. :)

42 Kim September 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Could you please tell me the amount of butter, rice krispies, cocoa and brown sugar needed to make the no bake bars. The balls are delicious! Thank you!

43 amy September 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm

So glad you like the energy bites, Kim! Here is the recipe for the no-bake granola bars: http://www.fearlesshomemaker.com/2012/03/chocolate-chip-granola-bars/

enjoy!

44 Jennie @themessybakerblog September 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I just made these. They are so good. I see another batch in the very near future.

45 amy September 30, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Hooray, I’m so glad you made ’em + liked ’em! =)

46 Grishma @Zaikazabardast October 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Amy, have you used regular oats or quick one???

47 amy October 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm

You can use either, but i typically use quick-cooking oats because theyโ€™re a bit smaller + softer. =) Old-fashioned oats will give your bites a bit more texture.

48 becky October 23, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Is the oat meal cooked or raw oats? Looks good and I’m ready to make them.

49 amy October 23, 2012 at 8:44 pm

hey becky – it’s uncooked raw oats. i use the quick-cooking kind, quaker brand. =)

50 Kellie bailey January 13, 2013 at 5:28 am

I would like to try these but I was wondering how much fiber is in them.

{ 3 trackbacks }