apple, cheddar + bacon quesadillas

by Amy on 5 September 2012

hi friends, i’m so excited to be guest posting at Baked By Rachel today! apples are one of my favorite fall flavors, so when rachel offered me the chance to create a new apple recipe for her An Apple A Day series? i jumped on the chance. initially, i planned to make something sweet, but then i remembered eating apples + cheddar together on a cheese plate in the past, + came up with a twist on that – these apple, cheddar + bacon quesadillas.

while the flavors + ingredients are simple, they all work wonderfully together. the sweet, slightly tart apples, the creamy, rich cheese + the salty, meaty bacon all combine fabulously! and the best part? these are super easy + quick to make, coming together in less than 15 minutes from start to finish, so they’d make a great speedy weeknight dinner or after-school snack.

first, you get your ingredients prepped. see how pretty apples, bacon + cheddar look together?

then, you start making your quesadilla. lay 1 tortilla in your heated + lightly-oiled pan, stack on your cheese, apple slices + bacon. top with a little salt + pepper, another tortilla, + heat for just a few minutes on each side, until the tortillas are lightly browned + the cheese is ooey gooey + delicious. here’s what it looked like before adding on the top flour tortilla, so you can get a sense of it.

there you have it! a quick, easy + absolutely delicious snack, appetizer, or light meal.

this recipe is also linked up atΒ foodie friends friday!

apple, cheddar + bacon quesadillas

serves 1 as a meal, or 2 as a snack, a fearless homemaker original!

ingredients

2 flour tortillas (can substitute whole wheat, if you prefer) – I used Mission medium flour tortillas
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 apple, thinly sliced
2 strips of bacon, chopped, cooked + drained

directions

heat a large saute pan over medium heat. spray lightly with non-stick spray.

create your tortilla – start with 1 flour tortilla, then the cheddar cheese, apple slices, + bacon. top with salt + pepper to taste.

add one more tortilla on top, + heat for 3-4 minutes a side, flipping once, either tortillas are golden brown + cheese has completely melted. move to a cutting board, allow to cool for a minute, then cut into triangles + enjoy!

1 sally @ sallys baking addiction September 5, 2012 at 5:35 am

Headed over to check out the recipe now! You CANNOT go wrong with bacon and apples… esp if cheese is involved. πŸ˜‰

2 alexandra @ sweet betweens [blog] September 5, 2012 at 7:06 am

I can definitely see why Skylar snuck a few of those when she could! :) They look fabulous!

3 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel September 5, 2012 at 7:32 am

Thanks so much for participating, Amy! These quesadillas are fantastic!

4 amy September 5, 2012 at 8:31 am

and thanks for having me, Rachel! =)

5 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 5, 2012 at 8:54 am

I never would’ve thought to add apples to a quesadilla but it’s actually genius! Heading over now to get the recipe!

6 claire @ the realistic nutritionist September 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

You had me at apple and cheddar.

7 natalie@thesweetslife September 5, 2012 at 9:40 am

we’ve done the apple cheddar thing but never with bacon! must give this a try!

8 amy September 5, 2012 at 9:45 am

the bacon was actually a last-minute addition, too – i had just planned on doing the apple + cheddar thing, but then realized some salty bacon would perfectly round out the whole thing. =)

9 Anna @ hiddenponies September 5, 2012 at 11:21 am

Yum!! Love the photos too!

10 Jackie @ Domestic Fits September 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Apples and cheese and bacon?! I’m going to check it out, sounds perfect.

11 sarah k @ the pajama chef September 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

oooh definitely checking out this recipe- it looks awesome.

12 Erin @ Texanerin Baking September 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm

YES! It’s here! Going to check it out!

13 Renee September 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Now I just found a great appetizer for any time I entertain and have “Mexican” night.

14 Meghan September 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Apples, cheddar, & bacon sounds perfect! Off to check it out!

15 Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl September 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Oooh, this sounds like a perfect combo! I’m off to check out the recipe now!

16 Steph@TheChickpeaChickadee September 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

These look fabulous! Love the combination of flavors. The sweet crispy apple is the perfect compliment to the salty bacon and gooey cheese. YUM!

17 Choc Chip Uru September 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm

What a wonderful twist on the flavour combinations for a quesadilla my friend :)
Loving it!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

18 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 5, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Um, yes. Like, yes PLEASE! If I had all of these ingredients at my house, I think I would be making this dish immediately. It looks and sounds amazing!

19 Julie @ Table for Two September 5, 2012 at 7:55 pm

makes me so happy that you brought a sweet/savory dish and LOVE the bacon!!

20 Kathryn September 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Amazing! Going to check out the recipe now!

21 Mommyof2Girlz/StephD September 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Shut the front door! This looks so amazing!! I can eat quesadillas everyday, but this…this is something else. Can not wait to try this!

22 Elizabeth September 5, 2012 at 9:45 pm

The apple + cheddar sounds amazing!

23 Tracey September 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I am on a serious bacon kick lately, and I love the idea of combining it with apples. I can only imagine how amazing it’d be! These quesadillas are going on my lunch menu soon :)

24 amy September 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Hooray! Can’t wait to hear what you think about ’em once you try ’em!

25 Megan @ girl by the lake September 5, 2012 at 11:29 pm

oh wow, this looks yummy! and so simple too! I was just thinking about conjuring up new quesadilla ideas just the other day…but then, there you go doing it for me!

26 baker street September 6, 2012 at 3:08 am

Oh yum! What an insanely delicious combination Amy! Your quesadillas look just perfect.

27 Angela @ AnotherBitePlease September 6, 2012 at 7:16 am

Who would have thunk it? What a perfect combination – and so fun!!!!!!!

28 Jen @ Savory Simple September 6, 2012 at 8:16 am

So much deliciousness is one quesadilla!

29 Beth September 6, 2012 at 8:35 am

Individually, those are all great flavors. Together, I bet they rock! Great recipe.

30 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel September 6, 2012 at 10:31 am

That quesadilla looks SUPER yummy, but I’m afraid I’d eat all the components first before I even had a chance to get the pan hot, haha. I’m hopeless! Love the combo of smoky bacon, crispy sweet apples and salty cheddar together, mmm.

31 amy September 6, 2012 at 10:46 am

For real, i ate an insane amount of all components before assembling. I made sure I had extras of everything on hand!

32 baking Serendipity September 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm

i love these! apple quesadillas are one of my favorites :)

33 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 6, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’ve never had an apple quesadilla before. This looks so yummy!!!

34 ea-the spicy rd September 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Love it! I’m sure my kiddos will too :-)

35 amy September 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Yes! this is definitely a kiddo-friendly afternoon snack. =)

36 Ashley@BakerbyNature September 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I just made scones with the same ingredients! I would have never thought to do quesadillas – making these literally TONIGHT!

37 amy September 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm

scones? that is brilliant! hope to see that recipe on your blog soon!

38 Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings September 6, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Simple enough for a weeknight dinner, without the stress! Thanks for the idea! My kids love apples and cheese – so this should have been a no-brainer for me…not sure why I haven’t thought of this before! YUM!

39 Blond Duck September 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Bacon in quesdillas? Drool!

40 Jeff September 6, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Mmm, it looks fresh and tasty! Are the apples still crunchy, or do you cook them long enough for them to soften? I need to eat more questadillas….

41 amy September 6, 2012 at 10:33 pm

hey jeff, they still have just the slightest crunch to them. i want them to retain some texture to add a little crunch to the quesadillas, which is why i didn’t cook ’em first.

42 Terry September 7, 2012 at 8:47 am

These look amazing! Pinning.

43 LaQuita (JustUsGirls) September 7, 2012 at 9:13 am

Found you over at Foodie Friends Friday. This looks absolutely delicious. I’ve never thought to mix these combinations up for a quesadilla, but I’m sure going to try this out. Pinning!!!

44 Angie September 7, 2012 at 9:16 am

That looks like something everyone in my family would enjoy. Especially with B A C O N…Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday. Don’t forget to come back on Sunday to vote for your three favorite recipes. And if you could link back, that would be great.

45 Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook September 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

Looks fantastic!

46 Lois Christensen September 7, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Thanks for joining! So glad you brought this delicious recipe to our party! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back and VOTE on Sunday!

47 Erin @ Texanerin Baking September 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm

So I tried apple cheddar bacon scones over the weekend and decided that the apple just got in the way of the good stuff. But I was a good girl and ate my apple as my appetizer. So um, yeah, I’ve eaten like a pound of bacon over the last few days. Oops.

But who cares because these are amazing! It was also the first time that my husband had quesadillas and we both loved them! I really liked how crunchy they were. Next time I’ll roll out the tortillas a little thinner, just for these. And the next time I make fajitas, I’ll add some of the chicken and have chicken and cheese quesadillas instead of bacon. I guess it’s a little healthier. Thanks for the recipe, Amy!

By the way, do I win some kind of award for making more of your recipes than anyone else? πŸ˜€

48 amy September 11, 2012 at 1:31 pm

you definitely win an award for making more of my recipes than anyone else! i should make an edible trophy out of the things you can’t get in germany + ship it to you. you know, brisket + butterscotch chips + spinach, + other good stuff like that? okay, that sounds weird, but you still deserve an award!

49 Erin @ Texanerin Baking September 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Eww! Spinach?! No. Fresh spinach is just less gaggable than the frozen stuff. I don’t want that. :)

I was thinking about a gold star sticker as my award but your idea is way better! An edible trophy sounds like the best thing ever.

50 The Squishy Monster September 13, 2012 at 8:19 pm