Chocolate Avocado Pudding {vegan!}

by amy on 22 May 2013

Chocolate Avocado PuddingSo, I’ve seen chocolate avocado pudding on lots of my favorite blogs over the last few months, + while it always looks delicious, I’ve been reluctant to try it. I love avocados (in guacamole, in pasta, etc.) + I love chocolate, but together? I had my doubts. But, when I had a few avocados quickly getting ripe + was craving something sweet the other day, I decided to (finally!) give this intriguing pudding recipe a try.

So, how was it? Pretty flippin’ delicious! I’m not going to say that you can’t taste the avocado at all, because in this version at least, I could taste a subtle avocado flavor. As an avocado fan, I actually liked that. But would I try to sneak this by an avocado hater? (like I did with my beet-hating husband + this awesome chocolate beet cake?) – nope. That being said, it was delicious – wonderfully rich, chocolatey, smooth + creamy, with just a hint of awesome avocado flavor. And, because of the ingredients, it’s vegan, gluten-free, + has lots of heart-healthy benefits. Win!

Chocolate Avocado Pudding

Chocolate Avocado Pudding

serves 2, adapted from Forgiving Martha

ingredients

1 ripe avocado, peeled + quartered
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup raw agave nectar (i substituted honey)
1/4 cup almond milk (i used chocolate almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

directions

put all the ingredients in blender or food processor + blend until smooth.
top with fresh fruit and/or whipped cream, serve + enjoy!

51 amy September 6, 2013 at 3:45 pm

That is actually a pretty common debate amongst vegans and vegetarians, whether honey is vegan or not. Rather than get into the debate here, I’ll just say that if you don’t eat honey, there are many other vegan options for sweetening this pudding – vegan sugar, molasses, stevia, date sugar/paste, agave syrup, yacon syrup, etc. Thanks for stopping by!

52 Jane September 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I am not vegan, nor vegetarian. But I eat real foods. I just made this avocado chocolate pudding for me & My Hunny for lunch.
It was super easy and tastes absolutely DELICIOUS!
I added 1/4 tsp of almond extract, and garnished with a drop of raspberry spread and a light dusting of powdered sugar.
No doubt I WILL BE MAKING THIS AGAIN, and will be sharing this on our Mmmtastethis.wordpress.com website!! Thanks for the post! jw

53 yacon syrup navitas naturals organic December 10, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Yes! Finally something about raw chocolate recipe
and yacon syrup.

54 Barb Donovan December 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I made this pudding last night for our guests. It was a big hit. I will be making it again!

55 amy December 16, 2013 at 8:02 am

So glad it was a success, Barb!

56 Rachel Carrera December 18, 2013 at 12:06 pm

This pudding is so delicious! Im going to buy avocados more often now. i halved the recipe and did use agave syrup. Simple, quick, and delicious.

57 amy December 18, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Yay, Rachel! I’m so thrilled you liked it!!

58 Francine December 26, 2013 at 10:38 am

Oh my goodness I just made this delicious chocolate pudding and I am amazed it is fabulous! The bigger deal for me is that I hate avacado! Due to the fact that my three year old son is now on a grainfree diet I have been looking for innovative kid friendly recipes. All I have to say is that I was pleasantly surprised. I will never buy instant pudding again and have a slightly different view of avacadoes:) Thanks so much for sharing!!

59 amy December 28, 2013 at 7:01 am

Hooray, I’m so happy it was a success for you AND your little man!

60 Kim January 9, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Oh my gosh! This tastes amazing! My husband and kids love it!

61 amy January 9, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Awesome, Kim! So glad y’all love it!!

62 Becky January 18, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I made this recipe exactly as you with honey and chocolate almond milk. I found it rather enjoyable. I have recently been dairy free due to my 5 1/2 month old’s whey allergy, and I miss the comforts of food like this! I didn’t think I could taste the avocado at all, but I greatly enjoy them and maybe it wasn’t a thought. If you are used to box pudding, this is definitely way different, but wonderful none the less!

63 amy January 19, 2014 at 9:03 am

So glad you liked it, Becky! And congrats on the baby! My little one is 7 months old. =)

64 Mariah January 29, 2014 at 8:13 am

How many calories would say id in this?

65 amy January 29, 2014 at 9:37 am

Hi Mariah, It will vary somewhat depending on what type of almond milk/cocoa powder/etc. you use, but roughly, the entire recipe has 540 calories, which means that each serving has about 270 calories. Hope that helps!

66 Sheila February 10, 2014 at 7:30 pm

YUM! Great recipe – thank you! Have you ever tried freezing this? I’m not sure how it would freeze/thaw due to the avacados, but I have a couple VERY ripe avacados, so I might just try it!

67 amy February 10, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Hi Sheila, I’ve never tried freezing this, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work! I think you could definitely make a double (or triple, or quadruple) batch + freeze it in whatever portions work best for you. =) So glad you enjoyed it!

68 Amy March 3, 2014 at 9:49 am

Made this the other day. My son who hates his vegetables loves this pudding. I told him I made it with avocados and he told me to stop tricking him. I used honey because I didn’t have agave nectar. Will make this again!

69 amy March 3, 2014 at 11:49 am

So glad you and your son liked it! And good for you getting him to eat some good-for-you-veggies in a way that he likes! =)

70 Sefora March 25, 2014 at 12:38 am

MIND BLOWN!!! Oh my goodness…I’ve been meaning to try a recipe for a healthier chocolate pudding (given that I have a ridiculous sweet tooth)…& I couldn’t believe it! It tastes absolutely delicious exactly like regular pudding! Thx for the recipe! I had mine with some fresh strawberries :)

71 amy March 25, 2014 at 8:09 am

Awesome, Sefora! I’m so thrilled you loved it!

72 D March 25, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Use maple syrup instead of sugar or honey

73 amy March 25, 2014 at 6:41 pm